Friday, January 15, 2010

Kawana Jasper Speaks

(Below is the letter Public Housing Activist Kawana Jasper sent to HUD, dated January 14, 2010, explaining why she should be a part of the New Orleans delegation at the upcoming meeting with HUD . She also questions the credentials of those that have been chosen, including Cynthia Wiggins).


Hi, Mrs. Henqriuez, my name is Kawana Jasper im a public housing resident in New Orleans, La. I'm very interested in attending the meeting in Washington D.C., on January 20, 2010 on "The Preservation of Public Housing". I have fought tirelessly on the grounds in New Orleans for the rights of residents of public housing to be able to return to public housing post Katrina. Residents of public housing who have fought hard for preservations of public housing would not be able to get the opportunity to be apart of this meeting because of poor selection from the steering committee. I have earn a seat at this meeting unlike some people who have not defended public housing in New Orleans. I was displace from public housing due to the demolition of the "Big 4 Developments" that were torn down. I can bring to this meeting important issues that public housing residents are facing in New Orleans. I am supported by local and national organizations to be a part of this meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment